Supervision and Mentoring
What is Supervision?
Supervision is a service that provides a confidential space for supervisees to share, reflect on and explore challenges in all aspects of clinical work with an experienced practitioner, trained to facilitate supervision. The focus of supervision is to support the supervisee to continue to develop as a professional to provide a safe, ethical, sustainable and highly competent service where the welfare of the client and the quality of service they receive is paramount
Whilst mandatory for Psychologists and Registered Counsellors/Psychotherapists, professional supervision is currently optional for APDs. Fees apply for this professional service and are typically charged at the Supervisor’s hourly consulting rate
What are the benefits of Supervision?
Engaging in professional supervision can be extremely rewarding and can enhance your practice and enjoyment of your work tremendously. If you are an APD and considering supervision you might like to consider how you might benefit from:
- Debriefing clinical and workplace challenges
- Understanding and working with clients who struggle with change
- Case conceptualisation and management
- Integrating non-diet eating strategies into your practice including HAES® and Mindful Eating
- Support with ethical issues such as confidentiality, contracting and referring on
- Development of self care, stress management and burn out prevention
- Counselling skill development and mastery
- Assertive communication and professional boundaries
- Improving client retention and ‘no shows’
- Managing work place issues and team communication
Are you thinking about starting supervision but not sure what to do next?
If you are an APD considering supervision for the first time but are a little unsure about what it all involves you are welcome to email Tara here and set up a free 20 minute phone consultation with no obligation. Enquiries are also welcome from other mental health professionals working in the area of eating behaviours.
Effective supervision is characterised, in part, by a good match between supervisor and supervisee. It can be very beneficial to have an initial discussion about what you are looking for and the service provided. Tara is very happy to help you understand the supervision process, so feel free to get in touch and introduce yourself.